Cuthbert WARD

Male 1708 - 1776


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name  Cuthbert WARD 
    Born  1708 
    Gender  Male 
    Died  9 Dec 1776  Newlandside Hall, Stanhope, Durham, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Obituary excerpt from "Antiquities of Sunderland and Its Vicinity - Volume 13 - Page 37"
      "Died, Tuesday, at Newlandside Hall, near Stanhope, Mr. Cuthbert Ward, lately an eminent Fitter in Sunderland. 1776, Dec. 12th, Mr. Cuthbert Ward, of Newlandside Hall, Stanhope"
    Person ID  I6674  Ward Tree
    Last Modified  19 Apr 2017 

    Family  Elizabeth UNKNOWN,   b. 1713,   d. 12 Jul 1769, Newlandside Hall, Stanhope, Durham, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married  Abt 1728  Stanhope, Durham, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. Jane WARD,   b. 22 Apr 1731, Stanhope, Durham, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     2. Waidson WARD,   b. 27 Feb 1742, Sunderland, Durham, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
    Family ID  F2413  Group Sheet

  • Notes 
    • This is possibly the Cuthbert Ward who built and lived in Newlandside Hall in Stanhope.

      Excerpt from 'All Around Stanhope':
      "NEWLANDSIDE HALL.
      This building is pleasantly situated, and is of modern construction. It was formerly the seat of the Wards, and is said to have been built by one Cuthbert Ward, whose memory is recorded on a limestone altar tomb in the parish churchyard, as follows :—
      In Memory of Cuthbert Ward, Gentleman, and
      Elizabeth, his wife, of Newlandside Hall, who
      departed this life. Elizabeth, July the 12th,
      1769, aged 56 years. Cuthbert, December the
      9th, 1776, aged 68 years.

      Cuthbert Ward was in early life a sea captain, and at his death the estate was inherited by his son, Captain Ward. The estate afterwards came into the hands of the Harvey family, of Newcastle, then into the Newlandside Estate Co., and it is now owned by the company above mentioned."

      Excerpt from The history and antiquities of the county palatine of Durham , etc.,Published 1857
      "Newlandside Hall, an ancient estate of the Wards, is
      the property of the representatives of the Harvey family,
      timber merchants, of Newcastle."

      Excerpt from Weardale in Old Photographs:
      "Apparently there was a rough causeway here as recorded in 1777 when footpads, having robbed Captain Ward of Newlandside and Thomas Robinson of Bushey Flat, fled across the causeway tearing up planks behind them to hinder their pursuers."

      Excerpt from An Historical, Topographical, and Descriptive View of the County Palatine of Durham:
      "Newlandside Hall, an ancient estate of the Wards, is the seat of John Rippon, Esq."

      I found some photos of the ruins of Newlandside Hall online, with this caption:
      "Many of the farms, particularly in the Stanhope area have suffered from the effects of quarrying. Many have disappeared altogether such as Ely House, Mellenberry, Hollin House and East & West Capplespeth. Two still remaining, Shield Ash and Newlandside Hall are tottering on the edge. Photos 1 & 2 (Courtesy of Judith Bainbridge) show Newlandside in the 1950s the others show it in 2012"

      Excerpt from Natural History Transactions of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Volume 7:
      "In descending from Thimbleby Hill (nearly twelve hundred feet), after passing Newlandside Hall, the ancient seat of the Wards, the quarries of Newlandside were inspected, where blasting by means of dynamite was being proceeded with, and which operation was viewed from a safe distance with much interest. Here some lead ore was shown which appeared to be rich in metal. The hill side was then gradually descended, through fields where hay making was in process. The hedgerows were studded with the Woodruif, Asperula odorata, in bloom, its sweet aroma being very grateful. In the bed of the -Wear a remarkable bed of Basalt first described by Sir W. C. Trevelyan was pointed out. After crossing the Wear by the picturesque stone bridge Stanhope Hall was visited."

      Excerpt from The Antiquities of the Abbey Or Cathedral Church of Durham. Also a Particular Description of the County Palatine of Durham, Compiled from the Best Authorities and Original Manuscripts:
      "Names of the Castles and Mansion-houses belonging to Nobility and Principal Gentry in this County...
      Newlandside Hall, near Stanhope, to Cuthbert Ward, Esq."